22 April 2013

Thai Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce


We have a problem using up lettuce in our house.  We usually buy it, use a few leaves, and then forget about it until it goes bad and needs thrown in the garbage. As we were planning out our last shopping trip we decided we wanted to get the stuff to make BLTs. I knew that meant we were going to buy lettuce so I decided I should plan another meal to use up some of that lettuce instead of throwing it away. Thai lettuce wraps came to mind, so I searched pinterest for some recipes. I wanted to find a recipe that was simple and used fairly basic ingredients.  This recipe was my inspiration for the filling and this recipe was the inspiration for the sauce. Of course, I made a few changes. I added a few extra ingredients to add a little bit more flavor. I will definitely be making these again.  The filling was great and didn't necessarily need the sauce, but the sauce added some great flavor too.


Thai Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce 
  • Lettuce Leaves (I used romaine)
  • Peanuts
Filling:
  • 2 chicken breast, cut in to half inch cubes
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1 yellow pepper, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tsp Sriracha sauce (optional)
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook onions until tender, add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and cook until chicken is cooked through as sauce is reduced.

Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 4 teaspoons hoisen sauce (you could also use soy sauce, but hoisen sauce has a sweeter flavor)
  • 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
In a small sauce pan, mix together all ingredients until smooth and warm over medium-low heat.

Fill lettuce leaves with filling and sauce. Garnish with peanuts, if desired.


5 comments :

  1. Hi! Followed you over from Seven Alive blog hop. We are the same way with lettuce in our house, we buy it, use a few leaves and then end up tossing it. I tried something similar with left over lettuce using ground beef. Now following via GFC.
    ~Jackie @ The Non-Martha Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Thai Lettuce Wraps. Your recipe is fabulous and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This sounds awesome. I just had Thai Lettuce Wraps at the Cheesecake Factory and was thinking... "man I need to make these at home". You must have read my mind... thanks for the great recipe! :)

    Krista @joyfulhealthyeats

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! Congratulations, they have been featured this week at Sew-Licious Home Decor. Thanks so much for sharing them!

    Marti

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...