27 September 2012

Easy Creme Brulee for Two

I love link parties just as much as I love pinterest. They are a great way to bring in new readers and an excellent way to find great ideas.  While browsing through a link party last week I noticed a recipe for Creme Brulee posted by Love and Laundry. I checked it out and it looked so easy. I love, love, LOVE creme brulee, so you better believe I pinned that one to try. Jump forward a few days, one of the ladies at church choir practiced had picked a bunch of plums from a friend's tree. She ended up with more plums than she needed so she told use to take some of them. I grabbed a few and told my hubby we should slice the plums and eat them with some vanilla pudding. Then I thought about it and wasn't sure I even had vanilla pudding. My mind immediately went back that creme brulee recipe. I got on pinterest and opened the link and realized it uses heavy whipping cream. Sad day, I didn't have any cream. It did get me thinking though, and I wondered if I could find a recipe that used milk. Thanks to Google I came across this recipe for Creme Brulee with Milk. Woohoo, I had all of the ingredients on hand. After comparing the 2 recipes I decreased recipe sizes and made my own version that was a hybrid of the two recipes.  I want to mention that the original recipe called for 2% milk. I used whole milk because that is what we keep on hand for the little kiddle to drink. My creme brulee set, but the texture was a little off. If I was planning ahead and making this dessert to go along with a nice dinner or for a special occasion I would probably make sure I had half and half or cream because I think the higher fat content would help with the texture. However, for creme brulee that was made on a whim using everyday ingredients that I always have on had it definitely turned out fine and it tasted like creme brulee, so I would totally make it again using the milk. One more tip, you DO NOT need a kitchen torch to melt the sugar on top. Your oven broiler works just as well. By the way, it was excellent with the fresh plums.

Easy Creme Brulee for Two

  • 2 egg yolks
  • *1 cup 2% milk or heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • hot water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar

Pre-heat oven to 350F. Whisk together eggs, milk, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla very well. Pour egg mixure into ramekins. Place ramekins into a baking dish. Fill baking dish with hot water half way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the water in the pan for 30 minutes. Remove ramekins from pan and put in fridge to chill for at least 2 hours. After creme brulee chills, sprinkle the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Broil in oven for two minutes.
*Notes: The original recipe called for 2% milk. I use whole milk. You can use anything from 2 % milk, whole milk, half & half or whipping cream. The creme brulee will set thicker and better as the amount of fat in the dairy increases.

15 comments :

  1. Glad you found this and shared it! I think I'm going to make some today! It's going to be perfect for the half and half I have that is about to expire in my fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out with the half and half.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I LOVE creme brulee but always thought it was complicated to make. Now I'm wishing I hadn't come across this recipe because I'm going to be making it ALL THE TIME :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cream Brulee is one of my favorites, and your recipe looks awesome. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubled the recipe and made with half cream and half milk. I think the temperature given is too high, the mixture bubbled during cooking which affected the creamy nature of the texture. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I'll certainly use it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe left something to be desired. It turned out with the consistency of sweet scrambled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! I doubled the recipe ...used whole milk and added an additional egg yolk. Was delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...