31 March 2011

Crochet Baby Ring Stacking Toy – Part 1, The Rings

My little one is getting old enough to start playing with toys and I don't really have any toys yet so I thought I would crochet a ring stacking toy with some of my scrap yarn (I know, not the funnest colors). I couldn't find any patterns on the internet except for the Pond Friends pattern by Lion Brand. Although it is very cute, I just wanted a plain old stack of rings, no cutsie animals. I made this pattern since I couldn't find one. I'm going to put it up in 2 parts. This post, part 1, only has instructions for the rings. I will post part 2 next with with directions for the base.

The Rings
Supplies:
5 colors worsted weight yarn
Size H hook
Polyester Fiber Fill
Special Stitches: 
§ sc2tg - insert hook into stitch, yo and draw through, insert hook in next stitch, yo and draw through (3 loops on hook) yo and draw through all 3 loops.


Ring 1 (Largest Ring) – work in rounds
With 1st color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Round 1 – sc in each chain (20 stitches)
Round 2 – [1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around] (30 stitches)
Round 3 – [1 sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (40 stitches)
Round 4 – [1 sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (50 stitches)
Round 5 – [1 sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (60 stitches)
Round 6 – [1 sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (70 stitches)
Round 7 –[1 sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (80 stitches)
Round 8 – Work even (80 stitches)
Round 9 – [1 sc in next 6 sc, 1 sc2tg § to decrease next 2 st together] around (70 stiches)
Round 10 – [1 sc in next 5 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (60 stiches)
Round 11 – [1 sc in next 4 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (50 stiches)
Round 12 – [1 sc in next 3 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (40 stiches)
Round 13 – [1 sc in next 2 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (30 stiches)
Round 14 – [1 sc in next 1 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (20 stiches)
Round 15 – Work even
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

Ring 2
With 2nd color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Rounds 1-6 – Follow instructions for rounds 1-6 of Ring 1 (70 stitches)
Round 7 – Work even (70 stitches)
Rounds 8-13 – Follow instructions for rounds 10-15 of Ring 1
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

Ring 3
With 3rd color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Rounds 1-5 – Follow instructions for rounds 1-5 of Ring 1 (60 stitches)
Round 6 – Work even (60 stitches)
Rounds 7-11 – Follow instructions for rounds 11-15 of Ring 1
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

Ring 4
With 4th color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Rounds 1-4 – Follow instructions for rounds 1-4 of Ring 1 (50 stitches)
Round 5 – Work even (50 stitches)
Rounds 6-9 – Follow instructions for rounds 12-15 of Ring 1
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

Ring 5 (smallest ring)
With 5th color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Rounds 1-3 – Follow intructions for rounds 1-3 of Ring 1 (40 stitches)
Round 4 – Work even (40 stitches)
Rounds 5-7 – Follow instructions for rounds 13-15 of Ring 1
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

7 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for coming up with this pattern! I can't wait to make it! I saw the pond friends one too, but I wanted just a basic stacking toy as well...I searched everywhere and came upon your site. So glad I found it, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out if you try it out. Also I haven't written out a lot of patterns so let me know if you have any problems understanding the patterns so I can improve it.

      Delete
    2. I will! I hope to start it in the next couple of days. Maybe I can even email you a picture, or put it on Ravelry (I just realized the pattern is linked on there too). Now I just have to chose my colors :)

      Delete
  2. thanks a billion for this! was looking for the same! pattern looks very clear, will try it out too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is part 2 for the stick part? Can you give me a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the slow reply. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2011/04/crochet-baby-ring-stacking-toy-part-2.html

      Delete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...