25 July 2011

Sun Hat

I took a ton of pictures
without realizing I had the hat
turned inside-out. Oops!
It's been awhile since I've posted anything crafty so this post makes me happy :)

Our friends invited us to a party for their daughter's 1st birthday.  I wanted to bring a gift so I decided I would make a hat. I looked through my yarn and found a coarse yellow 3 weight yarn and envisioned a big floppy sort of straw sun hat with a huge brim.  Well, I didn't have a lot of yarn so a big floppy brim was out of the question, so I came up with this hat instead.  I think it turned out rather nicely. I made it for a one year old but it could easily be made into larger side by adding additional rounds.

Click here for an adult sized hat

Sun Hat
Supplies:
3 weight yarn, size H hook (I found some of the yarn I used at Wal-mart the other day, turns out it was Peaches and Cream Brand and it was a 4 weight, but it really does feel a little thin to me, more like a 3 weight. I guess you could use a worsted weight yarn.)
Instructions: work in continuous rounds
Round 1 Chain 3. In second chain from hook work 6 sc .
Round 2 2 sc in each sc 12 stitches
Round 3 [1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch] around, 18 stitches.
Round 4 [1 sc in next 2 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] around, 24 stitches
Round 5 [1 sc in next 3 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] around, 30 stitches
Round 6 [1 sc in next 4 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] around, 36 stitches
Round 7 [1 sc in next 5 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] around, 42 stitches
Round 8 [1 sc in next 6 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] around, 48 stitches
Round 9 [1 sc in next 7 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] around, 54 stitches
Round 10 [1 sc in next 8 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] around, join with slip stitch 60 stitches
Round 11 [ch 3 (counts as first stitch) Dc in last stitch of previous round. Skip stitch with chain 3, skip next stitch, (This creates a crossed over X pattern) [Skip next stitch. Dc in next stitch, double crochet in unworked skipped stitch.] around. Join with slip stitch to chain 3 stitch.
Rounds  12-15 Repeat round 11
Round 16 Chain 4 [skip next stitch, dc in next stitch, ch1] around, join with slip stitch to chain 4 space (because the chains tend not to be as stretchy as the stitches in the previous rounds. I added and extra chain to every 4 or five ch1's)
Round 17 [Chain 3, 2dc in next ch 1 space. 1dc in next dc] around. Join with slip stitch to ch stitch.
Round 18 Reverse sc in each dc. Fasten off.
Run a ribbon through row 16, join the two ends of the ribbon together and fasten a flower on to the ribbon.
Don't worry, this one's right-side-out.
For this has, I just made the greed bow out of an icord.



22 comments :

  1. Found you on TT&J... SO cute! Thanks for sharing!

    www.getcraftlicious.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pattern!! Can't wait to give it a try!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! Love it! Visiting via Manic Monday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Can not wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo beautiful sun hats... !!
    When it comes to choosing a sun hat, make sure you choose one which has a wide surface area such that it covers your whole head and shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Round 11 is confusing to me...can you clarify? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Firma seçimi, parça eş시흥출장샵ya taşıma hizmeti sunan firmalar arasında doğru tercih yapmanın önemli bir adımıdır

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...