Also, dont forget about the May Link Party, there is still plenty of time to share you links and join the fun
I've seen meatball sub casseroles all over Pinterest. Well, mostly I've seen different pictures of the same recipe over and over again. It uses mayonnaise and a bunch of other unnecessary ingredients. Then I saw this recipe, that originally cam from the Pillsbury website. It was so much simpler than the other recipe I saw. I changed it up a little bit to meet my flavor desires, as in used green chiles instead of bell peppers. I also used fresh onion instead of frozen because it's what I had. This recipe is a keeper.
Meatball Sub Casserole
- 18 to 24 slices (1/4 inch thick) baguette French bread ( I used regular French Bread so I did need as many slices, I also cut my sliced in half since they were bigger.)
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 package (1 lb) frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1/2 Medium onion, diced
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups tomato based pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
Heat oven to 350°F. Brush 1 side of each bread slice with oil. In an ungreased 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate, line bottom and side with bread, oil side up and slightly overlapping slices. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. In a large bowl mix together meatballs, onion, green chiles and pasta sauce. Spoon meatball mixture into pie plate over bread; bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated in center. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.