25 August 2010

Fruit Dumplings

During the time I spent on my mission in the Czech Republic I discovered that Czech food is delicious. Unfortunately, I don't know how to cook much of it. Seriously, I miss Svickova. However, I do know how to make Ovocne Knedliky or in English Fruit dumplings.

Now, I have few recipes most of which I haven't tried because I like this one. It's easy and it has the cottage cheese in it, which kind of makes up for the fact that you can't find Tvaroh in the USA. Nor have I even figure out what the english equivilant of Tvaroh is. The dictionary says it's cottage cheese, but having seen what both look like I'm not convinced. At least they have a similar taste.

Fruit Dumplings
  • Ricotta cheese or cottage cheese(15 oz)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • Milk (if needed)
  • Whole Frozen Strawberries, or whatever fruit you like

Mix the ricotta or cottage cheese, eggs and flour together and knead into dough. Take a clump of dough and wrap it around a nice big strawberry. Use enough dough to seal well and form nice round dumplings. Boil in salted water for about 10 minutes. Top with melted butter, powdered sugar, fruit yogurt, etc.

I can usually make 12 out of a batch and that's more than enough for me and my hubby. So what to do with the extras. First, I only boil half of them for us to eat, then I freeze the other half of them uncooked. When I want to eat them I put them in the fridge to thaw a little, then boil them, but for about 15 minutes just to make sure they cook all the way through.

Dobrou Chut'

0 comments :

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...