01 July 2013

Toffee Chunk Shortbread Cookies

I love shortbread cookies. I love sprits cookies. I love the little butter cookies that come in the tins at Christmas time. There's something about the sweet, crispy, buttery goodness of all these cookies that makes me want to eat way more of them than I should.  A while back Like Mother, Like Daughter posted a recipe for chocolate chip shortbread cookies. Mind.Blown.  Adding the deliciousness of chocolate to an already amazing cookie? I don't see how you can go wrong with that, so I pinned that recipe for later. Well, that little recipe has been in the back of my mind ever since I pinned it. I've been looking for an excuse to make them. That excuse finally came. I signed up to bring cookies to a church activity. I was just going to whip up a batch of no bake cookies, but then I remembered the shortbread cookies. Strangely the chocolate chip just didn't sound great. It didn't sound bad, but I felt like the cookies needed something else. I got the idea to add health bar chunks instead of chocolate chips. Let me tell you, the toffee chunks were perfect in these cookies.  These cookies were so good that I had to selfishly keep a ziploc baggy full of cookies and not take all of them to the church activity. Don't worry there were plenty of cookies to go around.  I didn't count how many of these cookies I got out of one batch, but I'd be surprised if it was less than 4 dozen.  I cut some of them with little circle and star cookie cutters, but I discovered it was easier and faster to just roll the dough out into a big rectangle and use a pizza cutter to just cut a bunch of rectangle shaped cookies.  I would suggest one change to these cookies. Use less salt. I used the one teaspoon the original recipe called for and I think they were slightly too salty. I really do mean, only just the tiniest bit too salty. After all, I had absolutely no problem stuffing my face with these cookies. Heck, for all I know you might prefer them salty. Anyway, these cookies are good, they are super easy and use only a few basic kitchen ingredients. I'm thinking this might become a popular cookie at our house and will probably make the Christmas goodies list.

Toffee Chunk Shortbread Cookies
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup crushed up heath or your favorite chocolate covered toffee
Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla until mixed together. Add flour, salt and baking powder and mix in. Stir in toffee chunks. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough to be about 1/4 inch thick, lightly flouring as needed to keep from sticking to rolling pin. Cut out cookies in whatever shapes you like. Place cookies on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies turn golden brown.

1 comment :

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...