03 June 2013

Chocolate Chip Banana Donuts


I'm always looking for different ways to use up my brown bananas.  I love banana bread, but sometimes I want a easy recipe or sometimes I;m looking for something that doesn't take as much time as banana bread, or I want something that doesn't leave me with as much finished product as banana bread. We hardly ever finish off 2 loaves of banana bread in this house. Then there are the times that you only have one banana so you don't have enough to make a batch of banana bread. Anyway I had one brown banana and needed to make breakfast. I have a mini-donut pan so I figured I might as well use it, so I made Chocolate Chip Banana Donuts.  I found this recipe from Heather Cristo Cooks. I made very minor changes. I didn't brown my butter, I just melted it. I halved the recipe because half of most recipes makes just enough for our house hold.  I was also feeling extremely lazy and didn't want to glaze the donuts so I tossed some mini chocolate chips into the batter. If I were to do anything different....Well, I wouldn't have over filled the wells of the donut pan.  I might have increased the cooking temp to 400F as well, although they were delicious at 375 too. I got about 18 mini donuts, but I put way too much batter into each well, so I'm guessing you could get 24 mini donuts. One more thing, I would have also remembered to grease the pan. These little donuts did not come out of the pan very easy thanks to my forgetfulness.


Chocolate Chip Banana Donuts
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 3 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a mini-donut pan with cooking spray (I'me sure full sized donuts will work too, but I only have a mini-donut pan).  Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together the buttermilk, smashed banana, eggs and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the butter to the batter, mixing well to incorporate. mix in chocolate chips.  Pour batter into a pipping  bag (or large ziploc baggy and cut off corner.) Pipe batter into donut pan wells, filling about half full (You'll should be able to get 18-24 mini donuts) Bake the donuts 8-10 minutes, or until just baked through, but still soft and springy to the touch.

1 comment :

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...