06 December 2012

Mom's Peanut Butter Fudge

So, this was a staple in my house during the holidays while I was growing up. It still is. I have to make at least one batch of this stuff every year. This makes me wonder why haven't shared it on the blog yet.   I love this recipe, because it uses ingredients I always have at my house. I've never had to make a trip to the store to make this stuff. No marshmallow needed for this fudge recipe. This recipe is super easy. I've never messed up a batch of this stuff, which I definitely cannot say about fudge recipes that use marshmallow.

Mom's Peanut Butter Fudge

  • 3 cups Sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 stick margarine (1/2 cup)
  • dash of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup peanut butter

In a large pot bring sugar, milk, and butter to a roling boil. Cook stirring occasionally (don't over stir, you don't want the sugar to crystalize) until a spoonful of the mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into very cold water.  Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter, salt, and vanilla.Pour into greased 8x8 pan and let cool.

Notes: Softball stage is about 235F on your candy thermometer, but I agree with mom. Testing the mixture in cold water just seems to be more reliable than a candy thermometer. Sometimes, I still use the thermometer, so I have a better idea of when I need to start testing in the cold water.

Try adding 1/4 cup cocoa powder at the begging with sugar, milk, and butter to make chocolate peanut butter fudge.

4 comments :

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...