30 October 2012

Sugar Cookies


Yes, I know I usually post on Monday, not Tuesday. Let's all take the time to remember that I have a baby due in December. Not only am I tired and achy, I'm also chasing after an almost 2 year old. So, when I realized I hadn't typed out this post and scheduled it for Monday morning, I honestly didn't care with everything else I was doing yesterday. I was busy grocery shopping yesterday. I've decided I never ever want to take my toddler with me to the store ever again. He just wont sit in shopping cart anymore. When I go to Smiths I have to use the big carts with the giant kid's car attached to the front. Nothing like trying to pushing around an extra large shopping cart. When I was at Walmart I decided I'd try out the extra large shopping cart that has the double gray seats in the front. He still wouldn't sit in the seat he plopped down on the floor. I didn't want to fight him so I figured it was fine for the moment. Well, we start shopping eventually he decides he needs to stand up and climb on the seats, which is not safe. I buckle him in with the weird 4 point harness in the seat closest to me, which causes him to start screaming. Too bad for him. Well, I'm digging through spiral hams and turn around only to find him dangle from the cart. He slipped off the seat and was just hanging by the seat belt. Needless to say, he really didn't want to be buckled in after that, which made the rest of the shopping trip rather un-enjoyably  Anyway, here is a little last minute Halloween post, if you are looking for ideas. 


I'm sure you already have recipe for sugar cookies. Who doesn't right. Well, this is the sugar cookie recipe my mom always used at Christmas time and I think they are the best sugar cookies ever. The interesting thing about them is that the are a little crispy right out of the oven, but put some icing on them and let them sit in a container over night and they are amazingly soft.  As I said this is the recipe we use at Christmas time but I probably wont make any at Christmas time. Since, it's just me, the hubby, and little boy I don't need to make a lot of junk around the holidays so the sugar cookies usually get over looked by fudge and toffee. Besides with  baby girl due on Christmas day who knows if I'll feel up to making any Christmas goodies this year. I decided that I would just have to make Halloween sugar cookies to get a sugar cookie fix this year.

Sugar Cookies
  • 3 Cups Powdered sugar
  • 2 cups butter or margarine, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 5 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
Mix together powdered sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Add in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Heat oven to 375F. Divide dough into fourths. Roll each section of dough out 1/4 inch thick onto light ly floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake until edges are light brown, 7-8 minutes. Cool and frost. Yield 6 dozen, depending on cookie cutter sizes.
For the bats I baked in mini chocolate chips for eyes and used chocolate frosting
For the mummies I baked in chocolate chips for eyes and used  vanilla frosting
For the pumpkins I covered them in cinnamon and sugar before baking and made snickerdoodles

1 comment :

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...