09 January 2012

Strawberry Raspberry Freezer Jam

When I learned how to make freezer jam I learned how to make strawberry.  When I needed to restock my supply I bought strawberries and then decided that was boring and wanted something more exciting.  I remembered I had some raspberries in the freezer. I also had stocked up on Sure Jell pectin because it was on sale and at the time that was the only brand of pectin I knew. I looked through the recipes in the pectin box and didn't see a combination for strawberries and raspberries, but I did find one for strawberries and blueberries. Since the blueberry jam recipe and the raspberry recipe seemed to use similar quantities I figured I could use the strawberry blueberry jam recipe using raspberries instead of blueberries. It worked great and tastes so good too.  Now, I've only ever tried this fruit combination with Sure Jell, because I wasn't lying when I stocked up on Sure Jell.  However I have discovered Ball instant pectin. I like it much better than the sure jell because, first of all, it's instant pectin. Secondly, Sure Jell recipes tend to be a lot more sugar than fruit but the ball instant pectin uses more fruit that sugar and I think that tastes better and it's probably healthier too.  Now, that I've finally used up the rest of the Sure Jell I can try out this jam using  some different pectin next time around.

Strawberry Raspberry Freezer
  • 1-1/2 cups crushed fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup crushed blueberries
  • 4-1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 pkg.SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin
Mix fruit in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand 10 min., stirring occasionally. 

Mix water and pectin in small saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 min. Add to fruit mixture; stir 3 min. (A few sugar crystals may remain.)

Pour jam into freezer safe containers, leaving about 1/2" head space. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours to allow jam to thicken. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year. (If frozen, thaw in refrigerator before using.)

11 comments :

  1. oh my goodness! I LOVE freezer jam! Thanks for sharing this post!

    I'm happy to be your newest follower, and I'm hoping you'll stop by my BRAND NEW blog and follow me back!!

    Thanks a million :)
    Sarah @ Dotted Line Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to know how to do this. Thanks for sharing. If you get a moment, would you like to link up to my "Thriving on Thursdays" Linky Party here in Australia? I know a lot of people would who would also love to see this recipe.

    http://domesblissity.blogspot.com/2012/01/thriving-on-thursdays-linky-party-2.html

    Anne @ Domesblissity xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. It's getting to be strawberry season down here (S. Florida). This recipe will come in handy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to giving this a try. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to try the Ball pectin. Thanks for the suggestion,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, that jam looks so good for a hot biscuit and butter, I am heading to the kitchen. Thank you so much for sharing on our 1st Anniversary Party for Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm this looks tasty. I bet the boys I nanny for would love this! They love their pbnj's :) I'm your newest follower! I'd love if you checked out my blog! http://bridgetbakes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks super yummy. I would love to try it with blueberries too. So glad you linked up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! This looks delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up to Lisa's Linky List!!

    ~Lisa
    Lisa's Craft Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely going to have to make this!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring at Shine on Friday!! I can't wait to see what you make next.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to try this.. my mother in law makes it and it really is delicious! Thank you for the recipe :)

    And thank you for linking up to my Friday link party.. hope to see you there again!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...