19 December 2011

Jumbo Molasses Cookies

Ginger bread cookies and ginger snaps seem to be a popular flavor at the holidays. I suppose my perception could be skewed because both my dad and my husband just love ginger snaps.  I do too and I also love these molasses cookies from the Betty Corocker cookbook. We never made them around Christmas, my mom would just make them when she felt like it. I decided they would be great at the holidays because they have that nice spicy ginger flavor you get with ginger snaps and ginger bread, but these cookies are super soft. I think that's why I like them.

Jumbo Molasses Cookies
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup dark molasses
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • Sugar
Beat 1 cup sugar and the butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients except sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours until dough is firm. Heat oven to 375º. Generously grease cookie sheet with shortening. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on generously floured cloth-covered surface. Cut into 3-inch circles. Sprinkle with sugar. Place about 1 1/2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched lightly in center. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

If you want to ice them, mix a hlaf cup powdered sugar with 1-2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to make and icing glaze.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

      2 comments :

      I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...