25 November 2011

Dessert Fruit Tacos

I have to credit to my husband for this idea. He absolutely loves fortune cookies and knew I could make them because I made them for him once before. We were looking through my pinterest boards for ideas for game day food and he noticed a picture of fruit tacos. He decided fruit tacos that used fortune cookie for the shell. Obviously, they weren't folded in to fortune cookies but sweet, crispy little taco shells.

As I said, I've made fortune cookies before using this recipe from Our Best Bites.  You bake them in the oven and they're great. I wanted to look around for other recipes though and found one that baked them on an electric griddle, so I tried that recipe out for these tacos and say I prefer the griddle method.  Use whichever you would prefer.

Fortune Cookie Taco Shells
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Filling
  • 1 3oz box Coconut Cream Cook and Serve Pudding mix, or any flavor cook and serve/instant pudding mix you prefer
  • Fresh Fruit, diced or sliced
Mix together egg and sugar together until thick and ivory colored. Stir in oil.  Mix water and cornstarch together in a separate bowl. Add cornstarch mixture to egg mixture. Mix until smooth. Heat electric skillet to 340F. Grease griddle with a little bit of butter. Using a tablespoon, pour 1 level tablespoon of batter onto the griddle. Use back of spoon to spread the batter into a 4 inch circle cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown on bottom and then using a thin metal spatula flip over to cook the other side, 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Remove from griddle and then place on a clean surface for 15-30 second until cookie becomes cool enough to handle (trust me those cookies are hot!) but still warm enough that they can be molded. Drape cookie over the side of a square casserole dish to make taco shell shape, leave there until cookie is cool and holds shape.  I recommend only cookie 2 cookies at a time. Butter the griddle in between cookies if needed. Don't worry if they aren't perfect little cookies. It takes a little practice. Mine started out hideous, but got prettier after I got the feel of what I was doing.  Prepare pudding mix according to directions. Let cool. Dice fruit. Spoon or pipe pudding into cookie shells. Top with diced fruit. Do not fill cookie shells too far a head of time, because they will get soft if they sit too long. If your pudding turns out too runny like mine did I found it was easier to toss the fruit in the pudding instead of putting a layer of pudding in the cookie shell.
 




6 comments :

  1. So fun! My kids would absolutely love these! Wouldn't your fruit tacos make a great birthday breakfast? Thanks for linking up to the Head to Head Showdown! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy and so creative. Hugs from bacon time

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a creative...and yummy idea! Visiting from The Stuff of Success link party :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so good. thanks for sharing
    http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh YAY!! These look SO good! I don't know when or how I'm going to make them, but I will invent an excuse. I'm so excited about these.:)

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...