14 November 2011

Kraut Burgers

My mom would make these when I was growing up. She didn't make them very often. I guess it was often enough that when I needed to figure out someting to make to use the cabage from the garden these were the first thing that came to mind. Well, the only thing that came to mind.

This dish used 2 elements: bread dough and the filling (scroll down for the recipes)
 And you are going to stuff the dough with the filling, go figure. I found it was easy to stuff by taking a square piece of dough and placing it in a small bowl and adding some of the filling. The small bowl helped keep the filling cupped in.
 Then I took the edges of the dough and folded them to the middle so there were no holes
 I put the seam side down on the pan. So the tops were nice and smooth. You could also use a rectangular shaped piece of dough, plops some filling on one side folds the other side over and crimps the edges together.
 They only problem with my method was that a couple off the burgers (the ones with less filling) poofed up a lot in the middle. I'd still recommend this method for the easiness factor.

Butter Rolls
  • 2 T. spoons of sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 3/4 - 4 cups flour (enough that your dough isn't sticky)
  • 2 tsp. active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 egg
  • 7/8 cup of milk, warm
  • 1/4 cup butter
Dissolve yeast in warm milk and warm water (don't get it too hot (only about 110F-115F or you'll burn the yeast and it wont rise well.) Mix in sugar. Mix in remaining ingredients. Knead for 7 minutes. Let rise for 1 hour or until double. Punch down dough. Stuff dough at this point if you are using the dough for the kraut burgers. If you want to use dough to make rolls, shape dough into the desired shape of roll (makes great crescent rolls. Let rise for another 20-30 minutes. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.


Kraut Burgers
  • 1 batch of Butter Rolls Dough (Because this recipe is a small recipe it makes just enough for the burgers, but you could use your favorite bread recipe as well)
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped

salt and pepper to taste
Brown ground beef in skillet. Drain all but 2 tablespoons grease. Mix cabbage, onion and salt and pepper in with the beef. Cook until cabbage and onions are tender. Drain remaining grease. Roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thick, using a pizza slicer cut rolled out dough into 8 portions. Stuff dough and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for at 350F about 25 minutes or until bread is golden brown. 

7 comments :

  1. I really like your blog. I am your newest follower!! I am new to blogger, but am excited to share my New boutique that is coming soon with the latest trends on clothing at affordable prices. I also will be selling Mineral Makeup. I will be giving a lot of free giveaways here shortly for our grand opening! I hope you will stop by my blog and follow me back and like my facebook... And Look out for free giveaways on makeup and clothing :)

    -B. Haven
    bhavenboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your Kraut Burgers, we really enjoy the combination of the Kraut and hamburger. My very best wishes to you and your family for a blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great! Thanks for sharing at Shine On Fridays...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm looks so delicious!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound delicious. I just pinned it to my pinterest boards. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have another giveaway going on right now. Would love you to stop by and check it out.
    P.P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my boys would love this! Thank you for linking up to Taking A Timeout Thursday!
    -Trish @ Mom On Timeout
    www.MomOnTimeout.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...