07 January 2014

Broccoli Cheese Soup

My goodness, it's been a long time since I've posted a recipe.  Fortunately, we finally seemed to be settled in our own place and I can really cook again. 

So we moved from Nevada back home to Colorado, and I have to say this winter has probably been the coldest Colorado winter I can ever remember.  Seriously, yesterday morning around 8:00am or so I checked the weather app on my phone and it said that it was -8* outside but that it felt like -21. Way. too. cold.  Well, with all this cold weather I've been craving a lot of soup.  I have plans to make a big pot of chili in the near future. I'm also stocked up on ham, so I'm sure there will be a big pot of Ham and Bean soup in my future too.   But a couple of days ago I really wanted Broccoli Cheese Soup, but I didn't have any Broccoli on hand. Luckily, I was due for a shopping trip so I stocked up on broccoli and made myself some delicious broccoli cheese soup.  Nothing like a bowl or warm, gooey, cheesy soup, except maybe a bowl or warm, gooey, cheesy soup with some fresh french bread.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 can  (14.5 oz) Chicken Broth
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 bag (14 oz) frozen Broccoli I used florets and chopped some of the biggest chunks into smaller pieces, but you can buy frozen broccoli cuts and that would probably work better
  • 4-6 oz shredded cheddar cheese I used medium cheddar, but I would recommend sharp for better flavor
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in flour.  Add chicken broth, milk, and broccoli. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender.  Add cheese. Stir until cheese is just melted then remove from heat.  (If you heat cheddar cheese to long it messes with the proteins in the cheese and ruins the texture)




2 comments :

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...