26 June 2013

Sopaipillas

Way back in May I decided to make sopaipillas for Cinco De Mayo. We had fun with them and cut them into starts and sumbreros. Okay, it was a cowboy hat cookie cutter, close enough.  I had previously seen a recipe from Taste of Homes and pinned it. I kept telling myself I needed to try to make them. You see, sopaipillas remind me of Casa Bonita. If you're from Denver you know what I'm talking about. It's the kind of place that locals never really eat at, but they take visitors there. Anyway, it's a silly mexican restaurant with a cliff diver, puppet shows, a gift shop and mediocre food. To be honest, you don't go there for the food, except for the sopaipillas.  I always remember the sopaipillas being delicious.  So anyway, I saw that recipe for sopaipillas and kept not making it until the perfect excuse of Cinco de Mayo came along. I have to say sopaipillas are surprisingly easy to make and they only use a few basic ingredients that you are bound to have in your kitchen.....And they taste great when you rip off the corner and fill them up with honey.


Sopaipillas
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon shortening
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • Oil for deep-fat frying
  • Honey, optional
  • Confectioners' sugar, optional
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a loose ball forms (dough will be crumbly). On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 3 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 12 squares with a knife or cut into 12 circles using a round biscuit cutter.
In a deep-fat fryer, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°.  Drop Sopaipillas in the hot oil and push under until fully submerged. This will help them puff up better. Fry sopaipillas for 1-2 minutes on each side.  Drain on paper towels; keep warm. Serve with honey and/or dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...