04 March 2013

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Chocolate Syrup is very important in our household. You see, my toddler wont go down for a nap unless he has a sippy cup of chocolate milk.  Because I consider nap time valuable, I'll give him that chocolate milk. Don't judge. Well, we were running low on chocolate milk and I forgot to get milk at the store. I figured chocolate syrup couldn't be difficult to make and probably didn't use any ingredients I didn't already have on hand. I did a google search and decided on a recipe from Alton Brown, because Alton has never lead me astray before.  It was easy and it tasted great even though I didn't use the high quality ingredients Alton would use. Like my toddler would know the difference anyway.

Chocolate Syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
In a small pot, bring water and sugar to a boil and whisk in cocoa, vanilla, salt, and corn syrup. Whisk until all of the solids have dissolved. Reduce sauce until slightly thickened. Strain and cool to room temperature. (I'll be honest, I didn't actually strain mine) Pour into squeeze bottles. Squeeze into cold milk and stir for delicious chocolate milk or serve on your favorite ice cream.
 


3 comments :

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...