15 October 2012

Molten Caramel Apple Cake

Another caramel apples recipe. I'm sure my blog is starting to look like a broken record after the caramel apple pizza and the caramel apples. Well, it's apple season and I got a huge bag of apples off of a friends tree. The good news is that I'm just about out of apples, so you probably wont see any more apple recipes for a while.  My hubby and I love our chocolate melting cake, so when I saw this recipe for Molten Caramel Apple Cake on the Betty Crocker website I knew it was something I needed to try with some of those apples.  I made a few changes to make the recipe smaller. I also discovered the box of graham crackers I had in my cupboard was empty, so I improvised and used some Cinnamon Life cereal.  This cake was super yummy and super rich.  Mine poofed up a lot when they cooked so the tops popped when I flipped them on the plate from the ramekins. That's lucky for you because you get to see the yummy gooey molten filling oozing out in the pictures.

Molten Caramel Apple Cake
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 small apple peeled and chopped
  • Powdered Sugar
Heat oven to 450°F. Spray bottoms and sides of 2 custard cups or ramekins with baking spray. Sprinkle cracker crumbs onto bottom and around side of each cup. In large bowl, beat eggs with wire whisk until well blended. Beat in brown sugar. Beat in caramel topping and flour until well blended. Stir in apple. Divide batter evenly among custard cups. Place cups on cookie sheet with sides. Bake about 15 minutes or until sides are set and centers are still soft but not liquid (tops will be slightly puffed). Watch carefully—cakes can over bake quickly. Remove from cookie sheet. Let stand 3 minutes. Run small knife along sides of cakes to loosen. Immediately place plate upside down over top of each cup; turn plate and cup over. Remove cup. Sprinkle cakes with powdered sugar. Serve warm. Yield 2.

9 comments :

  1. oh.my.gosh. YUM! I love molten cakes! Ooey-gooey warmth with a burst of fall flavor! I'm going to have to try this one out!

    If it tickles your fancy, please check out my newest post on my blog! I just posted a 10-second professional-looking cake decorating tip that's sure to wow all your friends! :)

    neha
    neha made

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your recipes! Thanks for sharing them at Cast Party Wednesday!
    ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm this sounds so yummy! I am a new follower from the Homemade by you linky party. I hope you have a moment to come check out my blog and follow me back :)
    http://sunshineandasummerbreeze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum that looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say too bad you are out of apples!!! Love apple recipes this time of year! But the caramel lava cake is something special! Love that you used cinnamon graham crackers! Thanks for linking up to Iron Chef Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried this, followed the recipe to the letter and mine came out runny didn't set at all even cooked it for 5 mins longer than it said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. There is nothing more disappointing than trying a recipe that someone recommended and not having it turn out. I wish I could give you advice to make it work if you wanted to try again, but since you followed the recipe I'm just as stumped as you are. The only thing I can think is that maybe your apples were too juicy and added too much moisture or maybe the caramel makes a difference. I used the Smucker's brand caramel that come in jar.

      Delete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...