23 August 2012

Pie Crust

I recently realized that with all of the pies that I've shared with you I have actually never taken the time to share the pie crust recipe that I use. This is the recipe my mom always uses. She thinks she found it on the back of a Crisco container. It's a really easy and it always comes out so flaky.

Pie Crust
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening (I prefer butter flavored)
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk or milk soured with lemon juice or vinegar
Combine flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until pea-sized pieces form. Add milk and mix until just blended. Do not over work.  Roll out on floured surface. Place in pie plate. For pre-baked crust bake at 425F for 12 minutes, cool. To prevent bubbles, poke with a fork all over pie crust before baking. Note: I've noticed that when I need a pre-baked crust that sometimes the crust sinks a little bit down the sides of the pie plate, using chilled shortening or chilling the dough for a few minutes might help.



1 comment :

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...