16 May 2011

Chicken and Peppers with Balsamic Vinegar

Sometimes I buy produce and it doesn't get used fast enough. I'll open my fridge and say, "Oh. These bell peppers need used," or "this lettuce doesn't look too hot."  Then, I need to figure out something to do with my not quite dead produce.  I usually hop on the internet and do a web search.  The biggest problem then turns into finding great recipes and only having half of the ingredients.  Learning how to adapt recipes to what I have on had is becoming one of my skills.  The other night, I found this recipe.  First of all, I didn't have bell peppers, but I did have a big bag of mini poivrons from Costco. Okay, so that's pretty much like bell peppers. I also didn't have any onions, because I didn't realize I was out when I went grocery shopping over that weekend. I did have green onions though. I also only need to cook for 2 people. These certainly weren't big adaptations. They were simple and I was still able to try out the recipe.
Here's what I did:

Chicken and Peppers with Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
2 chicken breast
1 cup mini sweet peppers, sliced thin
2 green onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 tablespoon dried basil.
4 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar, divided

Heat up 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet, or frying pain over medium heat.  Place Chickens in pan. Season with salt and pepper and brown the first side. Flip your chicken leaving room in your pan to cook the vegetables.  Add in more olive oil, if needed, to saute vegetables. Add in the peppers, garlic and onions and saute for a couple of minutes. Add in the the basil and 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Cover pan with lid and let chicken and vegetables simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and peppers are tender.  Mix in the remaining balsamic vinegar. Plate your chicken and peppers and enjoy.

Makes 2 servings. About 413 calories per serving. Try replacing the olive oil with a lighter oil to lower the calories.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...