31 March 2011

Crochet Baby Ring Stacking Toy – Part 1, The Rings

My little one is getting old enough to start playing with toys and I don't really have any toys yet so I thought I would crochet a ring stacking toy with some of my scrap yarn (I know, not the funnest colors). I couldn't find any patterns on the internet except for the Pond Friends pattern by Lion Brand. Although it is very cute, I just wanted a plain old stack of rings, no cutsie animals. I made this pattern since I couldn't find one. I'm going to put it up in 2 parts. This post, part 1, only has instructions for the rings. I will post part 2 next with with directions for the base.

The Rings
Supplies:
5 colors worsted weight yarn
Size H hook
Polyester Fiber Fill
Special Stitches: 
§ sc2tg - insert hook into stitch, yo and draw through, insert hook in next stitch, yo and draw through (3 loops on hook) yo and draw through all 3 loops.


Ring 1 (Largest Ring) – work in rounds
With 1st color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Round 1 – sc in each chain (20 stitches)
Round 2 – [1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around] (30 stitches)
Round 3 – [1 sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (40 stitches)
Round 4 – [1 sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (50 stitches)
Round 5 – [1 sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (60 stitches)
Round 6 – [1 sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (70 stitches)
Round 7 –[1 sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around (80 stitches)
Round 8 – Work even (80 stitches)
Round 9 – [1 sc in next 6 sc, 1 sc2tg § to decrease next 2 st together] around (70 stiches)
Round 10 – [1 sc in next 5 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (60 stiches)
Round 11 – [1 sc in next 4 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (50 stiches)
Round 12 – [1 sc in next 3 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (40 stiches)
Round 13 – [1 sc in next 2 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (30 stiches)
Round 14 – [1 sc in next 1 sc, 1 sc2tg to decrease next 2 st together] around (20 stiches)
Round 15 – Work even
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

Ring 2
With 2nd color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Rounds 1-6 – Follow instructions for rounds 1-6 of Ring 1 (70 stitches)
Round 7 – Work even (70 stitches)
Rounds 8-13 – Follow instructions for rounds 10-15 of Ring 1
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

Ring 3
With 3rd color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Rounds 1-5 – Follow instructions for rounds 1-5 of Ring 1 (60 stitches)
Round 6 – Work even (60 stitches)
Rounds 7-11 – Follow instructions for rounds 11-15 of Ring 1
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

Ring 4
With 4th color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Rounds 1-4 – Follow instructions for rounds 1-4 of Ring 1 (50 stitches)
Round 5 – Work even (50 stitches)
Rounds 6-9 – Follow instructions for rounds 12-15 of Ring 1
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

Ring 5 (smallest ring)
With 5th color Chain 20, join in first chain with slip stich
Rounds 1-3 – Follow intructions for rounds 1-3 of Ring 1 (40 stitches)
Round 4 – Work even (40 stitches)
Rounds 5-7 – Follow instructions for rounds 13-15 of Ring 1
Join last row and first row with slip stitches, stiffing with filling as the ring closes. Fasten of and weave in ends.

29 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for coming up with this pattern! I can't wait to make it! I saw the pond friends one too, but I wanted just a basic stacking toy as well...I searched everywhere and came upon your site. So glad I found it, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out if you try it out. Also I haven't written out a lot of patterns so let me know if you have any problems understanding the patterns so I can improve it.

      Delete
    2. I will! I hope to start it in the next couple of days. Maybe I can even email you a picture, or put it on Ravelry (I just realized the pattern is linked on there too). Now I just have to chose my colors :)

      Delete
  2. thanks a billion for this! was looking for the same! pattern looks very clear, will try it out too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is part 2 for the stick part? Can you give me a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the slow reply. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2011/04/crochet-baby-ring-stacking-toy-part-2.html

      Delete
  4. What do you mean by even work? Do you mean to sc in each st or just thst your work should have a even amount of stitches? Also it would be easier you could put the st count after each round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ment count for each ring

      Delete
    2. I took it to mean to sc around for that round.

      Delete
  5. If you’re a guy looking for the greatest Instagram vip bio for girls and boys, please carry on. Because there are several Instagram bios in this post, you should read it all the way to the end.
    Instagram Vip Bios

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...